Killip EmPACT Preschool
Admission and Attendance Requirements
The following criteria will be used to select eligible families to participate in the family literacy program:
- Your child must be 4-5 years of age.
- Your child must be potty trained, as there are no changing facilities available at the school.
- Excessive absences/tardies will result in appropriate consequences, which may include dropping your child from the program.
- Families must meet the income requirements (based on Federal Poverty Guidelines).
- Families who are above the Federal Poverty Guidelines may be eligible based on available space. They must also meet the other program requirements.
- Adult family members who are the primary caregivers for children in the EmPACT Preschool must be committed to participating in all components of the program.
- Adult family members who are the primary caregiver of children in the EmPACT Preschool and who live within other Title I school attendance boundaries are also eligible.
Philosophy of EmPACT Preschool Program
It is the philosophy of the Flagstaff Unified School District’s Preschool Programs to provide developmentally appropriate learning experiences for four and five-year-olds in a safe and nurturing environment.
Only individuals trained at the highest level should be employed to teach our children. Staff should be given many opportunities to receive further training to better prepare themselves in child development and research which reflects current practice in developmentally appropriate instruction.
At age three to five, play is the main vehicle toward cognitive growth. Play is also important in the physical, social, and emotional development of a child. We encourage parental involvement at home and as volunteers in the classroom and school building. Throughout the year we encourage parents to develop an understanding of each play activity and which skills are being developed.